46 defense?

TheDarkKnight50
    Admin

46 defense?

Post by TheDarkKnight50 on December 1st 2011, 12:53 am

First off I am not directing this topic towards any one owner in the league, as it's becoming a trend and something I wanted to ask some opinions about. It seems many of the owners in the league are moving to a 46 defense. Most of the teams doing so, are running the 46 defense the majority of the game. Do we need to install some sort of a rule in limiting the 46 defense? Or should we let it roll as continued? Just throwing it out there as it seems to be the new 'craze' in the league. Again, just wanted some other league owners opinions on the new defensive playbook of choice.

phantomshark

Re: 46 defense?

Post by phantomshark on December 1st 2011, 1:39 am

Not sure why you would limit it. I built my D specifically to be able to run the 46, as opposed to the 3-4 I was built for to start. I like the 46 defense, it's my base D, why limit what base D people can use? I don't like the 3-4, so let's outlaw that.

Zsirvone28

Post by Zsirvone28 on December 1st 2011, 9:17 am

I use it in certain situations, but I've played quite a few owners who rely solely on the 46. I don't see why it shouldn't be used unless someone can prove that owners gain an unfair advantage with it somehow. Every defense as well as every offense can be beat some how as they all have their strengths and weaknesses, its up to us to exploit those weaknesses..

klc22

Post by klc22 on December 1st 2011, 11:33 am

Imo its usually not the playbok that is the problem it is how the owner is using that playbook. Any playbook can be abused in someway. I think if they are stacking boxes pressing corners and blitzing it is the owner that should be dealt with. Or safties getting 6 scks in one game (has to be exploit).This again goes back to the point that we are "SUPPOSE" to be a sim league. I would say let people run the defense they want but if someone is having issues over and over the commish needs to deal with that problem.
    BigJohnMic

Post by BigJohnMic on December 1st 2011, 2:01 pm

klc22 wrote:Imo its usually not the playbok that is the problem it is how the owner is using that playbook. Any playbook can be abused in someway. I think if they are stacking boxes pressing corners and blitzing it is the owner that should be dealt with. Or safties getting 6 scks in one game (has to be exploit).This again goes back to the point that we are "SUPPOSE" to be a sim league. I would say let people run the defense they want but if someone is having issues over and over the commish needs to deal with that problem.

That's exactly right. Unless you have the personel to match the actual offense that's on the field, you're doing a disservice to the definition of "sim" play. I'm not calling any certain individuals out b/c I haven't encountered the 46 in an abusive way myself. I also agree with what Z had to say in terms of exploiting the weaknesses of a defense.

bjcole26

Post by bjcole26 on December 1st 2011, 2:55 pm

I agree with everything that has been said so far... I am one of the owners that plays 46 as a base defense...I do not use 46 "speed" ever on 1st and 2nd down unless it was at the end of game vs 5 wr set... I think it really does depend on the owner... Some guys play 100% zone or 100% man or 100% man/press or in some other leagues, 100% nickel vs everything... that is more of the problem than anything... If we are required to mix it up on offense, then the defense should be required to do same. Yes some stats like 6 sacks with a safety does make you wonder.

I think there are other issues like guys onside kicking when winning by 13 or going for 2 point conversion when winning by 13 or passing the ball when the other team does not have any timeouts and could easily kneel it out to win game.

itsmythrone

Post by itsmythrone on December 1st 2011, 7:54 pm

if the o is in a 4 or 5 wr set and the d comes out in a 4/6 d then u know its kinda like a cheese factory, cuz more then likely u gunna have a lb on a wr they WILL jam the wr for so long that u will prolly get sacked or jus throw it. this is a sim league if a owner come out in 4 or more wr's u need to atleast come out in a nickle. but then again it works the other way also. u 4 wr's out there and he in 4/6 jus motion 1 of the wr to get out the tight press the lb or cb is playin. i dunno though cuz nfc west is a pretty straight sim division aint really incountered the abuse of 46 d. big ups to my man bigj and pat and even racist rams
    lilgame

Post by lilgame on December 1st 2011, 9:20 pm

im not completely sure how i feel about this topic.

In my previous experience, i understand the 46 defense to be very tough to beat, because those that run it know how to run it to its fullest somehow.

I dont think its fair to wag our finger at them and tell them they cant run a defense that they know how to call and we dont know how to beat, BUT, just to throw it out there, the first thing that pops on on google when u search madden 12 46 are links to nano blitzes and ebooks.

Im sure the same could be true for various other formations and playbooks though, so thats why i am not completely sure how i feel about what we should do to address this latest craze.

phantomshark

Post by phantomshark on December 2nd 2011, 12:43 am

I see a lot of people implying that I must cheese because Berry had 6 sacks in 1 game. I have never run a nano in my whole life, I never manually move anyone presnap except the guy I am usering, which is usually the FS. I never call 'hot routes' or whatever they are called on defense, and never make any D adjustments except what can be called with the D-pad (moving LBs or DL left or right, crashing left, right, out or in, show blitz, or press). The fact is, for whatever reason, when I would blitz out of the 46 vs Soop, none of his guys picked up Berry. Ever. I have no idea why. I probably could have had 12 sacks with him if I blitzed every play. Am I supposed to apologize because he was unstoppable that game?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is June 25th 2017, 12:29 am