Xtreme Madden League

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

America's XML Games of the Week: Week 5 Edition

lilgame
    lilgame

America's XML Games of the Week: Week 5 Edition Empty America's XML Games of the Week: Week 5 Edition

Post by lilgame January 18th 2012, 8:12 pm

America's XML Games of the Week: Week 5 Edition

Don't you hate how flex scheduling in the NFL doesn't start until week 11? Don't you wish you had the power to make sure all the prime time match-ups were of the highest quality of the week? Well, lets pretend we have that power here at XML. Each XML week, i'll highlight the best match-ups of the week, and slot as the primetime game each week (Sunday @ 4:15, Sunday Night, Monday Night). I'll break down what to expect from each team in each match-up, and come up with predictions for the scores. Welcome to America's XML Games of the Week!

Sunday Afternoon Game of the Week, 4:15PM on FOX: Dallas Cowboys (2-2) @ Philadelphia Eagles (3-1)
    The primetime schedule this week features some big time teams all across. The first is a division matchup between the Dallas Cowboys and the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Cowboys are coming off an exhilarating game in which they upset the 'then' undefeated Panthers. Late turnovers forced by the defense, and big plays made by WR David Gettis and Felix Jones put the game on ice and got them back to .500. While the defense did play well, holding the Panthers to just 17 points, the offense turned the ball over 3 times, all interceptions throw by QB Tony Romo. Romo's play will have to improve against the Eagles as they can't spare to give away any possessions.

And the Eagles offense is the reason they can't spare any possessions. Despite turning the ball over 4 times, QB Tom Brady seemed to get the offense going late in the second half. If thats any indication, it could mean that the offense got the kinks out of the way, and are ready to attack this Cowboys secondary. But the Eagles defense will need to step its game up. Even though the turnovers put the defense's back against the wall multiple times, they still gave up 21 points in the 2nd quarter.

Injuries could play be playing a factor defensively for the Eagles, with both Jason Babin and Nate Allen out. But, I think as long as they refrain from turning the ball over, and keep the defense out of short fields, the cowboys defense may not be able to hang in there long enough to keep the Eagles from scoring a lot. On the other hand, if Tony Romo can refrain from mistakes as well, and the run game gets rolling, maybe they can keep things interesting. Cowboys 24 to Eagles 34

Sunday Night Football, 8:20PM on NBC: New England Patriots (2-2) @ Tennessee Titans (3-1)
    Two of the AFCs long time powers meet in Nashville on Sunday Night as the Patriots take on the Titans.

The Patriots, despite playing really well on offense, have already lost twice this season. They rank top 10 in many aspects of the game, but two noticable factors could be their rush defense (27th) and their avg time of possession (17th). Those two run hand in hand. With teams being able to run the ball so well on them, the offense is being kept off the field far too often. They will have to key in on the run in this duel with the Titans.

The Titans rank 2nd in rushing offense, which is to no-ones surprise with their pro bowl offensive line and all pro running back Chris Johnson. Since their OT loss to the Texans in Week 1, they've won 3 straight. They suffered a big loss in young corner Jason McCourty, especially in a pass defense thats ranked 24th. They'll miss him playing against this pass happy Patriots team.

While both of these teams are coming off of good wins, I think the Titans are on a roll. The Patriots have yet to win back to back games this season, and being early October, wind is sure to be a factor at LP Field Sunday Night. If so, the pass game will be effected, and one of these teams clearly is more built than the other to a windy night.
    Patriots 24 to Titans 28

Monday Night Football, 8:30PM on ESPN: San Diego Chargers (1-2) @ Carolina Panthers (3-1)
    Probably the most interesting inter-conference match of the week will take place on Monday Night Football between the visiting San Diego Chargers, and the hosting Carolina Panthers.

The Chargers have hit quite the wall as of late in their division. Since defeating the Saints in week 1, they've lost to both the Chiefs and Raiders, two fellow AFC West rivals. And in 'un-charger-like' fashion, they have yet to score over 17 points this season. The loss of Vincent Jackson seems to really be effecting QB Phillip Rivers' success in the offense.

The Panthers on the other hand, have had things rolling on offense. But they hit a bump in the road last week, turning the ball over three times in the upset loss to the Cowboys. HB Frank Gore was held to just 48 yards last week. The run game will have to get back into gear to keep their Sam Bradford from having to pass excessively.

This one should be fun to see as two of the leagues better teams go at it in Carolina. I see the difference in this game being 3rd down. The Panthers are 5th in 3rd down conversions offensively, and 8th in conversions allowed. The Chargers are nearly opposite, ranking 18th in offensive 3rd down conversions, and 22nd in conversions allowed. Look for the Panthers to win that battle. Chargers 20 to Panthers 27

After going 2-1 in my picks last week, I'm now 7-2 on the season in my picks. Let's see if I can keep it rollin. Look for another edition of America's XML Games of the Week each and every XML week. Thanks for reading![/quote]
    BigJohnMic
    BigJohnMic

America's XML Games of the Week: Week 5 Edition Empty Re: America's XML Games of the Week: Week 5 Edition

Post by BigJohnMic January 19th 2012, 12:27 am

Great read as always, D
    klc22

America's XML Games of the Week: Week 5 Edition Empty Re: America's XML Games of the Week: Week 5 Edition

Post by klc22 January 19th 2012, 12:37 pm

good stuff game and i was able to prove u right!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 8th 2024, 9:09 am