Xtreme Madden League

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

America's XML Games of the Week: Week 3 Edition

lilgame
    lilgame

America's XML Games of the Week: Week 3 Edition Empty America's XML Games of the Week: Week 3 Edition

Post by lilgame January 13th 2012, 6:02 am

America's XML Games of the Week: Week 3 Edition

Don't you hate how flex scheduling in the NFL doesn't start until week 11? Don't you wish you had the power to make sure all the prime time match-ups were of the highest quality of the week? Well, lets pretend we have that power here at XML. Each XML week, i'll highlight the best match-ups of the week, and slot as the primetime game each week (Sunday @ 4:15, Sunday Night, Monday Night). I'll break down what to expect from each team in each match-up, and come up with predictions for the scores. Welcome to America's XML Games of the Week!

Sunday Afternoon Game of the Week, 4:15PM on CBS: Cincinnati Bengals (2-0) @ Kansas City Chiefs (2-0)
    In the only matchup of the week that involves two teams with a 2-0 record, the Kansas City Chiefs will open New Arrowhead for the 2013 season against the offensive juggernaut in the Cincinnati Bengals. Both teams are coming off of two impressive in-division wins each.

The Bengals have taken down both the Browns and Steelers in their first two weeks, each in convincing fashion. In week 1, they blew out the Browns, putting up 49 points on them. Last week, the defense did its part to shut the Steelers out in a 17-0 game. Last year, the Bengals were known as all offense and no defense, but this year, they've been looking to turn heads and even up the plate for both sides of the ball. They still do remain quite the pass happy team, and that's not hard to do when you have Peyton Manning at the helm. They have stellar rankings in these first two weeks offensively, ranking 2nd in turnover ratio (+6), 1st in red zone efficiency (100%) and 5th in scoring (33.0 PPG). But defensively, they rank 2nd in points allowed, and 4th in yards allowed.

The Chiefs started their season off with strong wins over Denver and San Diego. They've been known for being very aggressive on defense, and committed to running the ball on offense, two attributes that can travel well with any team. They rank 3rd in rushing, 6th in scoring, and 3rd in time of possession on offense. Defensively, they rank 3rd in yards allowed, 2nd in rush yards allowed, and 1st in 3rd down conversions allowed, all very good numbers.

It's a matchup of the 2-0 "Happy Teams." What do I mean by that? Well, its "Pass Happy" (CIN) vs "Blitz Happy" (KC). While I believe the Bengals offense will be able to move up and down the field, I think they'll end up settling for a lot of field goals. And we just aren't quite sure how real this Bengals defense is yet. "Blitz Happy" comes away with a victory in this one Bengals 23 to Chiefs 27

Sunday Night Football, 8:20PM on NBC: Miami Dolphins (2-0) @ Indianapolis Colts (0-2)
    Early in the season, this has all the makings of two teams going in opposite directions. BUT HOLD ON! The Colts aren't gonna go away quietly. This could easily be the most entertaining game of the week! An angry Colts team is coming off of two in-division losses to the Jags and Titans. Meanwhile, the Dolphins are riding high, handing a loss to two nemeses in the Patriots and Ravens.

Miami is back to doing the same thing they did last year on their road to the playoffs. Pounding the rock with Mark Ingram. The work horse running back has been an absolute stud for Miami since acquiring him from the Saints two seasons ago. He's helped them to rank 6th in rushing as they head into Lucas Oil Stadium for Indy's third consecutive home game so far this season. The defense has been solid, and as a whole, the team is +6 in the turnover ratio, 2nd in the league.

The Colts on the other hand haven't gotten off to the start they wanted. Coming off his first playoff appearance as an XML GM, Bikasaw has got to get the Colts back on track if they want to keep up with the three teams in front of them in their division. Offensively, they are both passing and running the ball well, but the turnover ratio is at -4, which ranks in the middle of the pack in the league. Struggling to stop the run isn't going to help much either with a run happy Miami team walking into their stadium on the Sunday Night stage.

Miami is going to walk into Lucas Oil Stadium and impose their rushing attack right down the throats of Indy. In fact, I think they'll be so intent to run the ball on the Colts, that it will lead to a big play coming from the Colts defense that may in fact change the game. Since I don't see either of these defenses stopping the others offensive strength, I think that defensive play may be the deciding factor and will get the Colts their first win of the season. Dolphins 24 to Colts 31

Monday Night Football, 8:30PM on ESPN: Cleveland Browns (1-1) @ Washington Redskins (2-0)
    Monday Night Football always finds a way to bring you a story to their game. The story this week? The battle of brother GMs. The Washington Redskins host The Cleveland Browns at FedEx Field on MNF, where GMs bigkap and jamery face each other for the first time in XML. At stake? Bragging rights of course!

The Browns can score with the best of them. The progression of Colt McCoy and Greg Little have been the key factors to how the Browns offense has improved over the past couple of seasons. But I think the x-factor on offense has to be RB Nyjee Dyer. The speedy 2nd year back out of Fresno State can be both a threat in the passing game and the running game with his explosiveness in the open field. This doesn't mean get away from whats working with Peyton Hillis, but the threat of Dyer could impose issues for a slow Redskins defense.

The Redskins come in as the leagues number 1 scoring defense, only allowing 8.5 PPG thus far. And they'll need to continue to depend on that defense until their offense finishes clicking. With newly acquired QB Tim Tebow under center, and new weapons Jacoby Ford and Darren McFadden being brought in just this past week, the offense is likely going to struggle trying to get all the weapons acclimated and accustomed to each other. Luckily their front 7 has played spectacular so far, ranking 3rd in rush defense. And in the secondary, they have the reigning rookie of the year in DeAires Justice to play the role of defensive playmaker.

In this battle of two brother GMs, the competition is going to be heated, and this game could very well come down to the wire. The two obviously know how each other plays and nothing should surprise either of them. But if this game is going to come down to the final minutes, I have to believe by that time, the Redskins will get into a groove with newly acquired RB Darren McFadden, and between him and Roy Helu, they should be able to put the game on ice, allowing K Graham Gano to kick the game winning field goal. Browns 17 to Redskins 20

So, last week I went 3-0, choosing all the road teams to win. This week, I've got all the home teams winning. Let's see how I do! Look for another edition of America's XML Games of the Week each and every XML week. Thanks for reading!
    phantomshark

America's XML Games of the Week: Week 3 Edition Empty Re: America's XML Games of the Week: Week 3 Edition

Post by phantomshark January 13th 2012, 11:31 am

Love it. Hope you are right again. Smile

Current date/time is May 10th 2024, 11:43 am